photo credit: Ottawa Tourism
Italian Week is a registered non-profit organization that develops and delivers ten days of programming and events each June. The festival is an important symbol of the Italian-Canadian community’s collective identity, and we take pride in showcasing all aspects of our Italian Heritage. This traditional event is one of Ottawa’s most iconic annual festivals.
Italian Week is excited to invite local visual artists to enter our first-ever juried visual art contest to Capture the Spirit of Little Italy! This is an opportunity to have your artwork featured prominently in Italian Week 2021 and across the City of Ottawa. The winning piece will be the feature image for this year’s festival and be reproduced on print collateral. Please note, prints will not be reproduced for sale.
The selected artist will be awarded a $1,000 cash prize for their commissioned artwork.
Artwork must adhere to the theme of Capturing the Spirit of Little Italy. Submissions not in adherence to this theme will not be considered. This contest is only open to residents of the National Capital Region.
1. Artists must submit a photo of their completed artwork through this form.
2. To give equal opportunity, artists are restricted to one submission only.
3. The winning artist must provide Italian Week Ottawa with a physical copy of the winning piece of art by June 1, 2021. This physical copy will then belong to Italian Week Ottawa.
4. Artists under 18 years of age must have their parent or legal guardian sign all required documents on their behalf.
1. Submissions will be open until May 16, 2021. Submissions after this date will not be considered.
2. All submissions will be reviewed by a jury of diverse, Ottawa-based visual artists and professionals, who will blindly evaluate submissions based on the criteria outlined above.
3. All submissions will be evaluated based on the artist’s ability to address the festival’s vision to capture the spirit of Little Italy, demonstrate their experience and qualifications, and artistic merit.
4. The jury will select one winner by May 20th, 2021. All artists will be notified of the final decision within 48 hours.
5. After the final decision is made, Italian Week Ottawa will work with the winning artist to format the artwork for digital/print collateral.
6. Artists whose submissions are not selected will have the option to list their work for sale on the festival’s official website in the “digital art gallery,” and the full balance of the sale price will be paid directly to the artist.
Festival rights: Italian Week Ottawa reserves the right to reject any or all submissions, or any part thereof, or to terminate or re-advertise the Call for Artists. The decision of the peer assessment committee is final.
Disclosure of information: Applicants shall not issue a news release or other public announcement pertaining to the selection process or jury decision, without the prior written approval of Italian Week Ottawa.
Copyright and moral rights: By making a submission to this call, the artist represents and warrants that the artwork submitted is their own original creation and does not breach any existing copyright or intellectual property of any other individual, entity, or group. Subject to the rights given to Italian Week Ottawa pursuant to this section, copyright, including any and all designs, drawings and final works of art, shall remain the property of the artist. Moral rights remain with the artist.
Confidentiality of information: Italian Week Ottawa employees and peer assessment committee members are required to treat both the content of submissions and the deliberations of the committee as confidential.
Any questions regarding the submission requirements or selection process can be directed to the festival’s Communications Coordinator, Julia Solimine, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or check out our FAQ!